Pygmy sea horses in Bali
Where to see them in Bali?
- Often present on the Liberty wreck, at 28 meters, at the Tulamben Drop Off at 22 meters. Of course its presence is never guarantied, and it can happen that these sea horses disappear sometimes if they are disturbed by divers before reappearing. Other put forward the theory that they are eaten by angel fish.
- The Menjangan marine parc is also a place where we can find pygmy sea horses and particularly the Denise species (see photo above). Even when knowing on which sea fans to find them, they can be hard to locate, a dive torche will be most useful to locate them.
The different species
The pygmy sea horse (Hippocampus bargibanti) is a species of pipefish of sea horse subfamily. To camouflage itself, he often hangs on sea fans of a similar colour to himself.
The most commun Hippocampus bargibanti mesure up to 24 mm. Two varieties exist:
- Grey or purple with pink or red growths, that hide in red or grey sea fans like the Muricellaplectana ;
- Yellow with orange growths that hide in yellow or orange sea fans like the Muricellaparaplectana.
It is the smallest listed sea horse species. It is an ovoviviparous species.
Other species of sea horse
Nine species of pygmy sea horse are listed in the world:
- Hippocampus bargibanti – Pygmy Seahorse
- Hippocampus colemani – Coleman’s Pygmy Seahorse
- Hippocampus debelius – Soft Coral Seahorse
- Hippocampus denise – Denise’s Seahorse
- Hippocampus minotaur – Bullneck Seahorse
- Hippocampus pontohi – Pontoh’s Seahorse
- Hippocampus satomiae – Satomi’s Pygmy Seahorse
- Hippocampus severnsi – Sulawesi Pygmy Seahorse
- Hippocampus waleananus – Walea Soft Coral Pygmy Seahorse